Saturday, August 30, 2008

Something Neat Happened...

Something very unique happened to me yesterday, and I wanted to share with you. I have shared in my profile that I am a middle school teacher. I am an inclusion teacher; meaning that I teach special ed., but I go into the reg. ed. class and work with the students that have learning disabilities. Never thought I'd be doing this-I know it's how the Lord works. Because of what I do, I can't share all the details, due to confidentiality. What happened yesterday-words can't describe-I have to share.
I had a student that I needed to call home about because work wasn't being turned in, etc. I asked mom to see if she could look at home for any of this work that might be stashed away in his room or under his bed. This is 7th grade... She began to tell me what a struggle they had been through with him since birth. She talked about how he had always been so hyper and strong-willed. She went on to explain her story and struggles as a parent. Everything she was telling me was like a carbon copy of what we went through at that age with Clayton. She started talking about faith and how God helped them through. I chimed right on in. I think for ONCE, I could really, clearly, honestly see now why God sent me and Johnny these struggles as parents and sent me to teach sped. For once in a very long time, it was crystal clear. I had the biggest "ah ha" moment yesterday. I cannot explain it. I started out teaching reg. ed. children and wanted to try sped. for something new. I got certified in that area, and my principal won't let me leave. Every year, I hear that still small voice tell me, "I have a plan-do it My way." Every year, I still ask to be put back in reg. ed. class, except this year-I did not ask. I told the mom that when Clayton was about 4 years old, I prayed that God would use me to reach someone through him and our experiences with him. Most of my students are ADHD, some do not take medication, so my days are a challenge to deal with this kind of thing ALL day long. Like I said, words can't describe what happened yesterday. It was just so awesome how I went to call this lady and God finally revealed how he was using me and my 8 year old son-and I was able to talk about my Lord to a parent in a public school setting!! It was amazing. I think it was a conversation I will never forget.

1 comment:

Jill McCormick said...

I am a mom with a child who has learning disabilities. She struggles so bad and it hurts because I am her mother and I can't fix it. She is in special ed meeting regular classes. My husband and I stay on top of things, but we pray daily for God to help us, help her. Thanks for your blog! Yes you may add me to your blog.

In His Grace,
Jill